Surgical abortion involves a minor operation. There are two types of surgical abortion:
- Removes the pregnancy by gentle suction.
- Up to 14 weeks, this can be done while you are awake (local anaeasthetic). The quicker recovery time for this procedure means you can leave the clinic unattended and drive sooner.
- Up to 15 weeks this can be done while you are asleep (general anaesthetic) or sedated (relaxed and sleepy).
- Carried out while you are asleep (general anaesthetic).
- The pregnancy is removed using narrow forceps through the neck of the womb (cervix).
- You will need to have cervical preparation on the day of surgery or possibly the day before.